Our goal is the advancement of the most innovative academic research in Washington state, with a focus on life sciences and enabling technologies.
Our priority is impact: We concentrate our funding on research that addresses important needs in healthcare and other critical areas that will have positive outcomes in Washington and beyond.
Examples of WRF-funded projects can be found on our Stories page.
Washington Research Foundation gives through the following programs:
- Student programs: WRF provides fellowships for graduate and undergraduate students.
- Faculty programs: We contribute to recruitment and retention of faculty through awards, endowments and chairs.
- Technology-development programs: WRF is a major contributor to UW's CoMotion Innovation Fund and WSU's Commercialization Gap Fund. In addition, WRF gives directly through its own programs, to accelerate the advancement of products and services with public benefit, at three levels.
- Phase 1: up to $50,000 (a short pre-proposal can be submitted here)
- Phase 2: up to $250,000 (must have previously received a WRF Phase 1 grant)
- Phase 3: more than $250,000 (must have previously received a WRF Phase 2 grant)
- Postdoctoral Fellowships: Our WRF Postdoctoral Fellowships program supports exceptional researchers for three years at eligible institutions in Washington state.
If you believe your research is a good match for one of our programs, we welcome the opportunity to discuss it with you.
For more information, please contact:
Beth Etscheid, Ph.D.
Director of Grant Programs
Washington Research Foundation reviews the budget in each proposal for the appropriateness of the direct costs being requested. It is WRF's policy not to pay indirect costs on any award.